Thursday, January 5, 2012

Would Jesus rake leaves?

I'm sure you all saw the challenge posed by one of the protesters outside St Paul's Cathedral-it became the favourite image of press and TV alike. As the controversy gathered momentum regarding whether their presence constituted a risk one bright spark pricked at the conscience of those in the church by asking on a large placard "What would Jesus do?"
It's a question that gets asked a lot in Christian youth work as young people are encouraged to seek inspiration from a wholly positive adult role model who isn't one of their parents. But is it a question that we can ask in any given situation?
At the charismatic end of the church the faithful are encouraged to "walk as Jesus walked", suggesting (with not a small suggestion of the kenotic heresies that were kicked out within a couple of hundred years of church life) that they can perform all the miracles that He did if only they had enough faith. And yet...
Do we model ourselves enough on Jesus who gave of himself, who's agenda was to bless others?
I suspect not. I noticed that my (elderly, widowed) next-door neighbour had not cleared the leaves from her lawn, generously deposited by the enormous willow tree that we share. Well, I say share...it's her tree but we get 70% of the shade and the leaves that drop. Anyway, the leaves were lying rotting on her lawn. So I offered to rake them up. It was about an hour's work at most. As I worked we chatted and I learned all sorts, such as that my vicarage had been built by a wealthy man for his daughter who had (foolishly, I might suggest) married a vicar and then been given to the church. My neighbour's house is built in what were its grounds. She's been there for over 35 years and seen vicars come and go. And in that time not one vicar has ever been round, invited her round, or offered to help.
And we wonder why the church often seems to be in trouble.
As Christians we don't need to make grand gestures or win complicated arguments. We don't need to be performing miracles on street corners. As a vicar I realised that I don't necessarily need to be leading my flock into an intense battle.
We just need to do the little things, the things that bless others. Because that is what Jesus would do if he lived where I do. Or where you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment